As 2009 draws to a close, I'm feeling a little nostalgic...after all, it was the year I published my first novel!
So, in honor of today...December 31st, 2009, on the cusp of a new decade that will bring who knows what, I give you, 9 Things That Made 2009 Awesome.
1. January 20, 2009 - History is made. And this happens.
2. March 1, 2009 - THE SEASON is released into the world. PW references its "clever conversation in the spirit of Jane Austen." I fall off my chair.
3. This rug from CB2 - Yes. It looks like grass. Yes. We have a dog. Never say we are not risk-takers.
4. I finish my second book - Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake clocks in at nearly twice the length of The Season. My editor does not break up with me when she reads it. Sue Grimshaw at Borders True Romance compares it to Eloisa James. I fall off my chair.
5. The 2009 Debutantes - a few scores of writers all launching their writing careers in 2009. We keep each other sane. And honest. And we survive our debut year with relatively few scars.
6. The Jane Austen Society of North America, Connecticut Chapter Annual Tea - The ladies of JASNA/CT invited me to spend a day with them in early December to celebrate Jane. They ply with me with tea and cakes. I have a splendid time.
7. Cate Blanchett as Blanche Dubois - A Streetcar Named Desire at the Brooklyn Academy of Music blows my mind. I realize that a female director can make a play I've read 30 times seem like something I've never heard of.
8. RWA 2009 - I get to hang out with Diana Peterfreund, Anne Mallory, Sabrina Darby and Julianne MacLean. I sit next to Stephanie Laurens at an event. Manage, barely, not to fall off my chair.
9. Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr. + Guy Ritchie + Victorian London = Epic Win.
So...farewell '09. Here's to you. May 2010 be even awesomer.
Happy New Year, y'all.