Miranda Neville is fabulous. If it weren't enough that she writes fantastically sexy romances (the most recent, The Wild Marquis, is yummy), she also has this lovely British accent that makes listening to her read an utter pleasure. It's not so much a pleasure when you're scheduled to read after her at, oh, I don't know, Lady Jane's Salon, and when, say, your husband tells you that you're pretty much not going to be able to compete with her so don't even try. Of course, then Miranda's perfectly lovely, and you can't really hate her for being a better reader than you. It's just the way the chips fall.
I'm very very happy that Miranda took the time out of her crazy writing schedule to come over and celebrate the launch of Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake--with her own Nine Rules! For the record, these relate to the Marquis of Chase, the hero of her The Wild Marquis, but they're good back-pocket rules for interacting with any rake...Marquis or otherwise.
Nine Rules for Retaining Your Reputation and Virtue when Consorting with the Marquis of Chase
1. Attend Almack’s. He never will.
2. In the unlikely event that you meet him at a ton event, do not drink anything. He is likely to say something outrageous that will cause you to spew orgeat on Lady Jersey’s gown.
3. Do not look into his eyes. Their flashing azure has been known to liquefy bones and lead to collapsing onto sofas.
4. Do not collapse onto a sofa in his presence, at least not in public. People will get the Wrong Idea.
5. Wear clothes buttoned up to your chin. (Warning: This may not work. He is not easily deterred and possesses an intimate knowledge of the fastenings of female garments)
6. Make yourself look ugly (This may not work either. He knows that what makes a woman beddable is all about what goes on in her head.)
7. Do not get into his carriage. It is upholstered in velvet and designed for misbehavior.
8. Stay out of danger. The marquis cannot resist helping a damsel in distress; you may not be able to resist rewarding him.
9. Do not ask yourself if you wish to retain your virtue. The answer may very well be “no.”
Miranda is generously offering up a signed copy of The Wild Marquis to one commenter who suggests a way to resist a blue-eyed, bad-boy marquis! Don't forget to leave your email address so I can reach you if you win! I'll choose the winner on Monday morning!
And stay tuned for the rest of the month--and a dozen more Authors Rule(s) posts from an awesome range of authors! To read more of Authors Rule(s), please click here!